Friday, April 6, 2012

Jelly beans vs. Salvation

What is the very first thing you think about when you hear the word 'Easter'? Just like that ink-blot test, you don't get time to reflect and choose which word you THINK you should think-- but really...did you say Peeps? Easter bunny or basket? Cadbury eggs? Jelly beans? Robin eggs? The media, grocery stores, and shopping malls have brainwashed us into thinking that Easter is ONLY about those aforementioned things, or at least the first thing that many think about. I am equally disgusted and saddened. What about God proving His unconditional love for us by dying a gruesome death? I never saw that image on an Easter egg. Or how about Him bearing all of our sins so we can have a shot at eternal life?? That makes me feel a whole lot better than a bite of a Reese's egg. Tonight at the Good Friday service at church, I was so overcome with emotion, thinking of Jesus' ultimate sacrifice, dying even for the people who were flogging him, spitting at him, insulting him, and making him bleed to death. There was no "guarantee" that these people would eventually come around and love Him and thus, making it "worth it". It was loving without expecting a SINGLE THING in return. I looked like I was cutting onions during the service--my facial fountain was flowing! But I was thinking, in the rare incidence that someone should ask me why I'm crying, I would say, "Why AREN'T you???" This is my Savior that was just brutally murdered on a piece of wood for no reason, except to prove His tremendous love for us. If I can produce a few tears while watching The Biggest Loser (I know--I'm a big loser!) or reading a fiction novel, why shouldn't I show at least a LITTLE emotion at the death of The Lord of Love?! Are we THAT distracted? Are we THAT hardened? Are we so disconnected from our center and core reason for being? But as you know, this story does not end in tears, but in uncontainable joy!!!!! Jesus has risen!!!! Some of us are living like that fact has no relevance or affect on them. He has the power to change your life if you let Him. If you thought Peeps, Cadbury eggs, Robin eggs, Reese's eggs, and chocolate bunnies were good, those things got NOTHIN' on Jesus! Get ya' some Jesus this Easter! Love, peace, and Easter joy to all!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment