Saturday, October 1, 2011

I miss college!

So, I went back to college today! Four of us volunteers took four of the older kids from the orphanage to one of the private colleges for a big free tour day they were having. Kevin, who used to work here and is now volunteering at the orphanage in Pacasmayo an hour and a half away, and his girlfriend, Sam, took six of their kids. It got off to a rough start. See Figure A.




- Figure A- your typical "first day of school" pics that you NEVER wanted taken.

There was a lot of stalling and waiting around before the tour got underway. The kids had to fill out paperwork and they were all embarrassed about what school they go to, not officially knowing what grade they are in, and knowing they would likely never be able to afford to go to college. There was loud music blasting to energize the kids as well as a clown on stilts. You think I'm kidding. See Figure B.


He was even posing bc he saw us taking pictures. What a way to say "congratulations on growing up" by bringing a clown to college tour day!






Hello from college. It rocks!

The day got better. The kids got to go around to different booths of possible careers and then got led to the corresponding classroom for a more in-depth look. One of my girls wanted to go to the Law booth, which then led us to the fake courtroom. Then we all went to the med school booth because I heard you could see cadavers. I knew that would at least get SOME reaction out of the kids! The sights and smells definitely brought me right back to my dissecting days! I can't say that I miss it too terribly.





The boys just look so overjoyed to be spending time with us.

After the tour wrapped up, we took the kids to Pizza Hut. It was a nice treat just to spend time together. I tried to reinforce that whatever they did or didn't get out of today, what we really wanted them to know was that we love them and believe in them. It was a good excuse to spend some quality time together and encourage them in whatever hopes and dreams they have for their futures.

I think it was rather fitting that I happened to watch The Blind Side for the first time tonight. (ok, so I'm a LITTLE behind in my movies.) I ended up crying during the movie, of course. The power of someone believing in you is such a transforming and motivating thing. I was weeping at the fact that most of our kids grew up without anyone believing in them or telling them that were smart, beautiful, or worthy of love. I pray that it is not too late for them to realize the Truth and, more importantly, their identity in Him. Please join me in praying for them. And if you have a minute more to spare, please pray for me, too, that I will be a reflection of the Son for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment