Saturday, October 8, 2011

One tangential post!

I feel like I have a little to say about a lot of things so instead of posting measly lil' things, I'm going to blob them all together with nice segues.

Speaking of segues...

Today I had a 9-hour house covering with the Luces, the house containing 11 of the oldest girls. You would think that 9 hrs + 11 girls would = 911, but besides a splitting headache at the end, everything was pretty calm and chill throughout the day. They always want to watch movies and oddly enough, they have a fascination with Korean soap operas of sorts. However, I found out at the END of my shift that they are no longer able to watch them. This one they watched today was bizarre. It was about a blind girl who keeps running away from her husband because she doesn't want him to see her die soon. She looked perfectly healthy to me. Anyways, that's a tangent I didn't even mean to take.

I delivered the long-overdue presents from my mom and her friend, Betty, to the girls: really cute designer t-shirts. I told them I wanted to take pictures of them in the shirts to show my mom and her friend. This one statement turned the house into beauty boot camp. Nails were painted, hair was curled, hair was straightened, eye shadow and lip shimmer was applied. And finally, pictures were taken! It was a fun process that I know they all enjoyed, except the tomboy, Marita, who opted out. The best part about today was that I saw more confidence appear in them all. I tell them they are beautiful all the time, but I think today, some of them might have seen that for the first time.

Marjori just got her nails "did".




Marjori just got her nails "did".



Consuelo before...



And after! Bautiful no matter which picture you look at!




Marita, just lounging around, thinking all those girls are crazy.






Estefany getting her curls on.






Isabel in her shirt and skort...remember those?!!










The beauty train

The girls really made me laugh today without trying to. They were decorating (what Peruvians do best!) for the orphanage's anniversary week next week (9 years?), and they were passing back and forth the scotch tape. However, they didn't use the word "cinta" for tape- they said "scotch". It cracks me up what they use from English. I tried not to imagine them asking for whiskey each time they really asked for tape, but it was hard to resist and I had a small chuckle to myself. Not that adolescents drinking is funny or anything. Who do you think I am??

Ok, one more funny bit and I must go. These days, I have been assigned to tutor 8 of our students who are failing English. I try to keep my lessons veand high-energy and hands-on and it proven successful and FUN! All the other kids who are doing well in English are asking to take my class, too! I was giving a quiz on the whiteboard and it was time to review the answers. I'm trying to use as much English as I can, so I was saying "Number 1" and then reviewing the answer. When it was time for "Number 5", the kids were all trying to sound out the right answer, but their pronunciation is just really off. Also, English has a lot of different sounds that Spanish doesn't have and vice versa. Jhampier in the front row was so excited and animated because he really thought he knew how to say "FIVE", but instead he kept yelling "FUCK", "FUCK", "FUCK!" ESL kids say the darndest things!

No comments:

Post a Comment