Saturday, November 6, 2010

God + random library book + milkshake + trust = PERU!

I can't believe this new adventure I'm about to embark on is actually happening...and SOON! Less than 2 short months away! How did this crazy idea take shape, you may ask? You know the quiet but incessant whisperings or nudgings God gives? The ideas, dreams, goals that always stay in the back of your mind and recirculate every so often? Well, living abroad, particularly in an orphanage, loving children and making a difference while learning and becoming fluent in Spanish, was one of those ideas. I always thought I would do it, but never knew when.

So meanwhile, orphanage idea circulating, massage school completed (another nudging!), STILL single with the availability to flee at any moment, starting to get restless and in need of a change, I started doing some research. I was in contact with a few places in a few different countries but wasn't feeling my heartstrings being pulled on....yet. Then I clicked on the website for Hogar de Esperanza http://www.perukids.com/ and I was hooked. My heart felt happy thinking of myself there. I emailed them right away asking if there was availability and then filled out a volunteer application and sent it in.

The next day I was leaving for a fun trip to San Diego to see one of my besties and stopped by the 'brary to pick up a few books for the trip. I wanted to re-check out this Mother Teresa book that I hadn't finished, but couldn't find it. My eyes were drawn to this bright blue book with the picture of the ocean. I figured...I'm in the Christian book section and I'm going to the ocean--so 2 wins for me. I got the book and left. It's called "Ocean Star" and was about this crazy dysfunctional childhood this chick went through and how she always ran away to the ocean when she felt abandoned. Her father (when he wasn't drunk and beating her mother) would take her walking down the beach and told her how starfish were just stars that fell b/c they were broken and once they got back to their life source, they would heal themselves. So it's all about this girl realizing her life source is God and going through her process of healing. She scattered Bible verses throughout the book and the page I read right before my friend, Mary, picked me up was Proverbs 3:5-Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. Over lunch at In and Out Burger (oops--I just salivated), I was telling Mary about the book and the Bible verse and she asked if there was something I was having a hard time trusting God about. I filled her in on the orphanage application and then oddly she asked me to turn over my milkshake cup. Weird, but ok and when I did, guess what was on the bottom of the cup???????? PROVERBS 3:5!!!!! I guess it's a Christian based company built on that verse! Later that night, we went over to her friend's house for a women's Bible study group of sorts and we were talking about Bible verses that help us in times of trouble and guess what made its appearance three times in one day? You guessed it--Proverbs 3:5. I was pretty sure of what I had to do next. The orphanage emailed within the next week and said they would love to have me join them in their ministry for January 2011! Here I come!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!! don't you just love those 'kisses from God' which totally confirms what your heart needs to hear right then?? I LOVE that you are jumping into this adventure and I'm so proud of you:) Maybe see you around the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like it's meant to be Kelly! what a wonderful calling!

    ReplyDelete