Friday, February 11, 2011

Been a while...

I feel like there is so much to say but never enough time or energy to blog! I will do installments to catch up. Last week the founder, his wife, and her dtr were here to visit. What a fun time! That guy has one hilarious story after another and he doesn't tire of telling them. The daughter, Joy, and I got along really well. They are from Joplin, MO! Small world, huh?! She asked all the same exact questions that I asked when I got here so it was fun to download my files to her. When we were around the kids together, it was cool to feel like I knew spanish bc she was asking what all the kids were saying and telling me what to say back to them. While they were here, we went out to eat a few times, went to the mall, explored markets, churched it up (and I'm talking 2+ hr services!), taught more English to the kids (they all know "will you push me please?" bc they know I won't push them on the swings unless they ask me English!!), and met some AMAZING missionaries. They have been in Peru for over 60 years!! They came right after getting married so they are in their mid-80's now and did I mention they are ADORABLE??!! His brother, Jim Elliot, was one of the five missionaries that was murdered in Ecuador in 1956. The movie "End of the Spear" is based on them.I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. Here are some pics of our time together.



Bert and Colene Elliot


Dinner on the Miller fam! Thanks again for a rice-free night!


Church and more church


Watching the superbowl-- sadly, no commercials!


Outside the mall


Checking out the produce...


I thought this image/smell was going to show up in a nightmare! Nasty!


Apparently this is how you spell "Joy" in peru!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. So jealous! That looks like a NICE restaurant you're at and you guys got to watch the superbowl?!! We don't have anywhere to go out to eat in Montero that's not fried food or disease-laden. I really miss going out for dinner!
    Also I looked at flights the other night. It's not easy to get from Bolivia to Peru, and it's even harder to get to Ecuador! It costs me the same to fly there from here as it does to fly to the States! crazy huh? We still want to visit though ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update...sending lots of love your way...thanks for sending warm wishes our way- it's 60 today! Woo hoo...was that stinky fish?!

    I totally HEART that couple...want to see the movie too! Miss you:)

    ReplyDelete