Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Is it too early to come home?

I don't even have the words to describe my first day other than utter chaos. I wish I had a video of it so you could actually see the chairs flying across the room, the 3 boys climbing on the bookshelf and it almost falling over, the despaired spanglish i was trying to utter... Oh, it was terrible!! I was completely overwhelmed 20 min in to my day. I was supposed to be with another volunteer who has been here for 5 mos and whose Spanish is pretty good, but he had to cover a house and so I was alone for 2 hours with 4 kids under 6 (2 are 5 year-old likely ADD/ADHD or some special needs twins that don't listen AT ALL!!!! Esp to Spanglish!!!) everything that could make noise (there was a piano, guitar, bongos, and microphone with amp in room) did and everything that could be thrown was! I "read" in Spanish to 5 separate groups of 7 kids each, each group worse and wilder than the next)- talk about a brain buster! My mind was fried! I was with 2 other volunteers for jewelry-making which was a breeze. I had time after that to stare at a blank wall and recharge. I was laying on my bed deciding whether to laugh, cry, play guitar, sleep, call someone from home, etc. I chose guitar bc I was supposed to teach it the next day and hadn't picked it up in a month or so. I randomly opened my book of songs to a song a few of my friends wrote called "Overwhem Me". Thank you, god!! And thank you Adam, Kyle, and Justin for writing it!! I played it over and over and over! My favorite part is "take me broken-all I need today is you". Today was 1,000 times better...the other volunteer was with me in the am for tutoría and I had a discipline plan for all 5 groups using a reward system-any kid will work for dulces ,esp chocolates de los estados unidos!!! (mom and dad, I might need more chocolate!) thanks for the prayers - keep 'em up!!!

8 comments:

  1. I hope my future child wasn't one of the wild ones! I will send you a care package. send me the address. You can do this!---for as long as you want. Channel your inner spanish-speaking mom voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you, sweet Kelly. Know that we are sending a flood of prayers your way. I lifted you up at Bible study tonight. Know that you are in our hearts. All my love and admiration. - Megan Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you've learned the first rule of teaching young children....bribing works!!!
    Will send you some more ideas--love you! Keep your chin up--God definitely has a plan for you and is using use to His fullest extent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad told me one day if the things that you are doing are too easy and if you are expecting big rewards out of them-- then do something else because the best reward comes after you worked hard for them-- even when the things were difficult and at times looked impossible.
    Your passion and beliefs will help you to over pass the difficult moments, don't let adversity make you weak-- it should help to make you stronger. Keep up the hard work and the rewards will come. Mucha suerte y mucho cariño. L

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rough days help us to better appreciate the good ones. I mean, you have an eliptical, so things can't be too bad, right? Keep hangin in there, I'm sure you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had very similar situations in India when I was trying to each a room full of 6 year olds ... I know how you were feeling but you can do it! You are amazing! I keep praying for you and I know as you continue on this amazing journey you will continue to learn and witness so many things God has planned for you! God Bless ... Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy! It's funny how you can love them and hate them at the same time, right? I had a similar day early on with a room full of Kindergarteners here in Bolivia. There were insane. I learned a few things- they love listening to you sing. If things were getting really out of control I would gather up a few kids and start doing the hokey-pokey with them. This got the other ones interested so they all came over and by the end were quiet and attentive-miraculous! Also corporal punishment is standard practice here so sometimes a really bad kid needs a little yank on the ear to know that you mean business (it's what they get at home, I'm not saying I agree with the culture, but I'm living within it). I think your candy positive reinforcement sounds awesome too. I've often wondered why they don't do something like that here, but I guess it's the same thing you've encountered, eventually the prizes run out and that takes funding to keep up. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll have their respect in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, this reminds me of a funny little book . . .I'm gonna try to find it in spanish and send it to you. . Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. . . . I'm preaying for good rest for you so you can come at them with a clean slate each day. . . I love that you guys pray for them in the mornings before you hit the grindstone (i feel like i just mixed up 2 sayings. . ) but the good part is, in a few months (hopefully less) you'll come back to read Tues. Jan. 11's post and you'll laugh your tail off. . . it is truly just your beginning. . . your growth will be unbelievable and your perspective priceless. . . i just keep thinking, we have NO idea how God is gonna touch their lives through you. .so so many ways.... love you girl.

    ReplyDelete