Thursday, January 27, 2011

I changed rooms, but not countries...

This week I had to change rooms because another volunteer got bed bugs and they have to fumigate his room (which is where the founder of the orphanage is going to stay when he comes next week!)

This week I have totally realized how UNDERrated some things in America are bc they are SO different here. For instance, the ability to flush your toilet paper in the good ol' U-S-A!!!! Be thankful for that, people!!! Secondly, boneless, skinless chicken breasts!! What a cool invention that was. Here, everyone always has their hands in their mouths picking out bones and small bits...gross. Another thing- Gloriously cold ICE!!!! It may not seem like much to you there, but you are missed, ice! I could go on and on about the amenities of America, but you guys are there...you know. However, one thing I really really miss above all is feeling thoroughly clean. My feet are a constant shade of dirty due the mere fact I live in a desert and I'm surrounded by sand. But alas, this is my life now and I will embrace my sand-kissed feet. And what you all have been waiting for...more kid pics!



























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my precious niece! Bedbugs, huh? You realize you'll have to fumigate everything before your p's let you back in their house, right!?!?! LOL You are having quite the adventure! I can just picture that big smile on your face with those kids! They have no idea how lucky they are. Missing you in the USofA!

    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. bed bugs????? ew!!! just think....they've got the same problems in NYC. i really enjoy your posts and pics. you're my hero for following you heart and filling the need that you see in the world. good luck, kell, and keep up the great work.
    lots of love,
    ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify...I never got bed bugs, but a few other unlucky victims did. Thanks for the support from over there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I realized how wonderful the good ol USA was after my trip to Philippines. We are blessed. What a blessing you are to all the little kids! You look great in the pictures!

    Lots of love to you!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEK! Brings new meaning to the phrase, "Sleep tight; don't let the bed bugs bite." eh? When you see those sand-kissed feet just think you've been walking along a tropical beach for hours each day:) Man, you are going to totally be able to deal with the "guy smell" at rock gym upon arrival:) Again as always....cute pictures!!! I feel so much love behind all those. Big hug to you! and miss you!mz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, it seems like you are having such an adventure! I am sooo proud of you (along with a lot of other people!). Can't wait to hear more. Oh, and the big kids both talked about you during show and tell last week!! LOL! Even THEY are proud of you :)
    Much love from all of us!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete