Thursday, May 19, 2011

Belatedness and other happy times...

I feel like Peru is making me bipolar. One day is really hard and trying, the next is ridiculously happy, the following depressing with all the recent events, then utter joy again. Well, at least it helps me appreciate the good times and the amazing people I get to spend them with.

I have a lot to catch up on. Happy belated Easter! I was desperately missing being gone from home and ESP our traditions of going to church together and then having Easter scavenger hunts for our baskets with a series of clues taking you to and fro'. I decided to create one for each of the volunteers that were here, awake, and willing. Here are some good pics.






Whitney found her egg!







Ashley's on an egg mission!


Mission completed.







Liz conquered the hunt.







Laura is EGGstremely happy.

On Monday morning, we took the 4 madres( 1 stays in each house with up to 11 kids each-TOUGH job!!!!) out to breakfast for a belated Mothers Day celebration. Actually, some past volunteers, Harrison and Leah Hicks, left "fun money" to use as we saw fit. The madres had SUCH a blast and we did too. It was so nice to be able to really converse and joke and see them outside their roles and just as women. We need to do that more.









These women are truly amazing!! So underpaid for the crazy job they do!



Thank you, Leah and Harrison!

Tonight we made dinner to show our appreciation for the cooks and the hard work they do every day preparing lunch and dinner for over 50 ppl. I usually help in the kitchen an hour a day and I'm spent after just that much time, esp when some of their methods seem so archaic. Every day they have to sort the rice by hand, picking out bugs, tiny centipedes, rocks, and black rice. When I commented to one of the cooks abt how time-consuming and "old" sorting rice can get, she said, "If we don't sort rice, we don't eat rice." These 2 women have really taken me under their Peruvian wings, esp in the kitchen world. They had the biggest smiles I've ever seen when I told them we were going to cook for them. And again, we used the fun money from the Hicks to buy food. What a great night!



Kevin instructing them on how to assemble the tacos



THE AMAZING Filomena and Luz!




No comments:

Post a Comment