Monday, May 30, 2011

I'm a new soul in a strange world.

Have you heard the song "New Soul" by Yael Naim? My roommate and fellow volunteers have....over and over and over coming from my guitar as I'm in the process of learning it. (There is no privacy here; the walls are way too thin!) If you haven't heard it, it's a cool song that has spoken to me here. Here are some of the lyrics:

"I'm a new soul/I came to this strange world hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take/But since I came here, felt the joy and the fear,finding myself making every possible mistake."

Yup, that about sums up my time here!! Some things about this place are SO bizarre to me and I feel like they will always be bizarre in my eyes, not something I will become accustomed to from living here. Such things include but are not limited to: eating guinea pigs, roasted cow hearts on sticks, cow liver, and cow intestine soup, seeing jesters on stilts in the grocery store, seeing ppl walk a cow on a piece of rope down the street, seeing any type of animal on the micro, ppl constantly picking lice out of kids hair (even when they are selling things to you, like at the market!), full-out breastfeeding without ANY modesty ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE, excessive over-decorating for 20 minute events, seeing how much sugar and crap they let the kids intake during a party (seriously...about 15 pieces of candy for starters, then heaping handfuls of popcorn and cheese puffs, then gelatin, 2 cups of soda, cookies, and a HUGE piece of cake all in 2 hours!) this list could go on for days... I will tell about all my Spanish blunders in a later post.



Oh, the jesters!



"Lice" to see you again!



I think I helped blow up close to 50 balloons for this school party.




Check out those decs! They are hand-made, thank you.



Fiesta de azĂșcar (sugar party)


No comments:

Post a Comment